What is the benefit of visiting a travel clinic for a consultation?
A travel clinic has medical providers that are experts in the travel health field. A consultation at a travel clinic ensures that you have individualized and comprehensive health information on your travel. Vaccine and prescription recommendations are based on your health and vaccination history, travel itinerary, and duration of travel. A travel health clinic provides more than just vaccinations, it provides health teaching to keep you safe and healthy during your travel.
Can you tell me what vaccines I need over the phone?
The recommendation for vaccination is individualized and based on age of traveler, health status, vaccine history, current medications, duration of travel, urban or rural travel, type of travel (i.e. business, adventure, resort). Telephone advice without a proper consultation is not possible as all of these factors have to be assessed by one of our health care professionals. Full telephone consultations are available for people who do not have access to our clinic. The cost would be the same as a full consultation in our clinic.
Why do I pay when I visit the Travel Clinic?
Travel Medicine (including consults and vaccines) are not subsidized by the government.
Some vaccines may be free at our clinic if they are routine vaccines that are provided under our Public Health Program. The fees you pay cover the cost of your vaccines as well as a comprehensive, individualized health assessment and travel health consultation. You will be provided with receipts as some extended health plans may offer coverage.
What should I bring with me to my appointment?
To get the most value from your travel consultation, please bring the following:
- Detailed travel itinerary
- Full list of medications
- List of previous vaccines received (routine and travel related)- Name of vaccine and date received
How long before I travel should I visit the Travel Clinic?
The ideal time to visit a travel clinic is 6-8 weeks before travel. However, if you have limited time before departure, we will provide you with health advice, vaccinations and perscriptions appropriate for “the last minute traveler”.
If I am going on a new trip, do I need to come in again?
Yes. Recommendations vary from country to country and may change from time to time. We need to review your travel itinerary and health status.
What side effects can I experience after receiving a vaccine?
Side effects vary according to vaccine type, but are generally mild and only last a day or two. These include:
- Pain, redness, tenderness or swelling at injection site
- Itching at injection site
- Nausea or fainting (most common in adolescents)
- Mild rash
Do I need to buy my own vaccinations from a pharmacy?
For your convenience we carry most vaccines on site. We do not require prescriptions for vaccines. However, a few special vaccines may need to be ordered on demand.
Are there after hours appointments available?
There are appointments available 24 hours a day. There is a special rate for emergency appointments.
What should I expect during my pre-travel consultation?
- Collection and assessment of all your relevant medical history as well as your past, present and future travel plans
- Personalized recommendations for the vaccinations and medications required for your trip
- Assessments and prescriptions for the prevention of malaria, traveler’s diarrhea and altitude illness
- Administration of vaccines required for your itinerary
- Advice on managing your medical conditions and treatments while traveling
- Advice on safety and other health concerns in the countries you will be visiting
- Vaccination record
- Reminder service to ensure completion of vaccine booster doses
- On-site selection of insect repellants, sunscreens and other travel needs
Are vaccinations mandatory for travel?
There are certain vaccines (ex. Yellow Fever) that may require documentation to be presented on entry into certain countries. The assessment process will determine if this applies to your travel itinerary. Other routine and recommended vaccines may be advised based on health risks of your destination(s).