What is the benefit of visiting a travel clinic for a consultation?
Can you tell me what vaccines I need over the phone?
Why do I pay when I visit the Travel Clinic?
Travel Medicine (including consults and vaccines) are not subsidized by the government.
Some vaccines may be free at our clinic if they are routine vaccines that are provided under our Public Health Program. The fees you pay cover the cost of your vaccines as well as a comprehensive, individualized health assessment and travel health consultation. You will be provided with receipts as some extended health plans may offer coverage.
What should I bring with me to my appointment?
To get the most value from your travel consultation, please bring the following:
- Detailed travel itinerary
- Full list of medications
- List of previous vaccines received (routine and travel related)- Name of vaccine and date received
How long before I travel should I visit the Travel Clinic?
If I am going on a new trip, do I need to come in again?
What side effects can I experience after receiving a vaccine?
Side effects vary according to vaccine type, but are generally mild and only last a day or two. These include:
- Pain, redness, tenderness or swelling at injection site
- Itching at injection site
- Nausea or fainting (most common in adolescents)
- Mild rash
Do I need to buy my own vaccinations from a pharmacy?
Are there after hours appointments available?
What should I expect during my pre-travel consultation?
- Collection and assessment of all your relevant medical history as well as your past, present and future travel plans
- Personalized recommendations for the vaccinations and medications required for your trip
- Assessments and prescriptions for the prevention of malaria, traveler’s diarrhea and altitude illness
- Administration of vaccines required for your itinerary
- Advice on managing your medical conditions and treatments while traveling
- Advice on safety and other health concerns in the countries you will be visiting
- Vaccination record
- Reminder service to ensure completion of vaccine booster doses
- On-site selection of insect repellants, sunscreens and other travel needs
Are vaccinations mandatory for travel?